Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Night at camp

Well I survived my night at camp. Because I was planning on spending the night I left a bit later in the day. First I went to the store and picked up some fruit and cookies to share with the camp kids and a few other snacks for me and the boys.
I arrived at the camp around 4:30. Spent the first few hours with the boys on the computer and then watching Alex play soccer. When it got later they let us use the sick room to hang out in until bedtime. We mostly listened to music off the boys MP3 players. They would play a song in English and then ask if it was a good song or not. There were quite a few rap songs so the conversations were interesting to say the least.
A quick summer storm took out the power for a while, we didn’t really notice it as we had been charging the computer so when the lights went out we just continued on with our music. A larger part of the camp was at the nightly “Disco” I don’t know exactly what that entailed as my boys were not really interested in dancing other then Joseph who was happy to just hang with us.
Around 10:30 we called it a night. I ended up sharing a room with 2 of the teachers at the camp. It wasn’t bad except for the bathrooms. Now bathroom is a loose term for village living- basically it is a jumbo size out house or roughly a room with 4 holes cut into the floor. At night there was one bathroom in the mail building for evening use only but I have to say the outhouses were cleaner. I spent a good portion of the night talking myself out of the need to visit the facility. Additionally the rooms are locked at night from the inside and I would have had no way to leave and come back without leaving the door unlocked with is a big no.
Finally at 6:30am I decided to great my day. I grabbed my stuff and headed out to a lovely morning rain. I was able to stay dry in a gazebo but apparently I was causing a bit of distress because I was in shorts and a t-shirt and sitting alone. Everyone seemed to think I was miserable when in reality I was really looking forward to reading my book alone. Finally when they couldn’t convince me I was cold they woke up Alex to take me inside. We hung out in the sick room again until breakfast which only Joseph wanted. I went with him to breakfast and seriously started to rethink my decision. First I felt bad because I really did not want that breakfast then I felt bad for my snobby attitude and lack of gratitude. These people had bent over backwards to make me feel welcome and taken care of and I was turning my nose up at their food. So with new resolve I sat down to hot tea with lots and lots and lots of sugar, a wheat pilaf, bread and butter and a sausage with gravy along with cucumber slice and an orange. I made it through the pilaf but just couldn’t eat the sausage other than that breakfast was ok and the bread baked fresh was really good.
After breakfast the boys made me more tea with more sugar and then we went to the store to buy a thank you gift to the administrator who allowed me to stay and snack for the boys.
Tomorrow I am going to attempt to bring Pizza, we will see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment